Monday, April 9, 2012

Blue Links Tunic

I love this top.

It is exactly what I wanted. Ever since I found this fabric I have known it was destined to be a tunic. The fabric is a vintage sheet, it's soft and light and perfect for a spring top!

I used a vintage Simplicity pattern (9443) cut down from a dress to a tunic.

After sewing up a muslin I decided to remove the center front pleat and grade out the sides from waist to hip to add the necessary width to adjust for the missing pleat. In the end it also required side vents to allow for greater movement. I also added a decorative front facing in white to match the collar.

I love this top and will absolutely use this pattern again. I love the fit, and although there are some 80's design elements I would tone down in the next version, I think this top will get lots of wear this spring and summer.
Changes I would make for next time:
1. Reduce the shoulder width - this is a little bit too 80's
2. Remove some of the ease in the shoulder cap, I couldn't get this to ease nicely and it ended up a little on the "puff sleeve" side.
3. add more of the required fullness at the hip to the back piece rather than evenly to front and back.

Can't wait to try this one again as a longer tunic or a dress.